The Presidents' watch from vintage to new
The Rolex President does not bear its nickname without reason: among the wearers of this most exclusive model, you will find names such as Lyndon B. Johnson, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Winston Churchill and John F. Kennedy. Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and Franklin D. Roosevelt are also said to have worn a Rolex Presidential Watch.
The Day-Date, also known as the "Leader's Watch", is now available in various versions and diameters. For vintage lovers, the Presidential Watch is a feast. Especially since the vintage models can be worn excellently with the casual Presidential bracelet or with leather straps. The most sought-after model is probably the Rolex President in gold.
President references at a glance
Over the decades, several generations of Rolex's President watch have been launched with the classic 36-millimetre diameter:
- Ref. 18XX (1967 to 1978): Four-digit vintage references.
- Ref. 180XX (1978 to 1988): Five-digit vintage references, for the first time with sapphire crystal. The Ref. 180XX already has a quick-set date feature.
- Ref. 182XX (1988 to 2000): Launched in 1988, the Ref. 182XX has a quick-set date and day of the week thanks to the "double-quick set" functionality.
- Ref. 118XXX (2000 to 2019): The first six-digit reference, including a solid bracelet.
- Ref. 128XXX (since 2019): Revised six-digit reference with the latest calibre generation.