From small jeweler to worldwide success
When it came to timepieces, the initial Cartier assortment primarily consisted of pocket watches. From 1888 onwards, however, Cartier began to produce wristwatches.
The first wristwatches comprised of jewelry watches for women, who quickly discovered the appeal and comfort of wearing a luxurious Cartier watch.
Alfred Cartier then began to concentrate on the expansion of the brand in the field of luxury watches, which he designed as pocket watches, pendulum clocks, and wristwatches for women.
The initial appeal of the watches soon grew into great success, when in 1889, Louis – the eldest son of Alfred Cartier – joined the company. He was later joined by his two brothers, Pierre, and Jacques, and together, the three brothers strongly established the Cartier name worldwide.
In 1902, Pierre and Jacque opened the first Cartier branch in London. With the expansion of the company, Cartier was issued a royal warrant as King Edward VII, who referred to the company as "the jeweler of kings", ordered 27 tiaras from the prestigious company.
In 1907, Cartier expanded to Russia. Shortly following in 1909, Fifth Avenue New York was able to admire and enjoy the exquisite works of Cartier.
Louis Cartier passed away in 1942 and Pierre Cartier followed in 1965. These were hard times for the Cartier company as the Second World War brought about challenges. The company was split into three parts among the immediate family of the three Cartier brothers, and in 1974, a group of investors purchased the enterprise and Cartier became "Cartier Monde". Since 1997, Cartier has belonged to the Suisse luxury watch group Richemont.